Tuesday, January 6, 2009

YOU gotta have faith

"(1) The Lord said to Abram, "Leave your country, your relatives, and your father's family, and go to the land I will show you. (4) So Abram left Haran as the Lord had told him, and Lot went with him. At this time Abram was 75 years old." Genesis 12:1 & 4

"(8) The officer answered, "Lord, I am not worthy for you to come into my house. You only need to command it, and my servant will be healed. (10) When Jesus heard this, he was amazed. He said to those who were following him, "I tell you the truth, this is the greatest faith I have found, even in Israel." Matthew 8:8 & 10

Do you see some similarity in those two groups of verses?

As soon as I read the familiar verses in Genesis today on my mobile Bible :-) where God told Abram (or Abraham as we know him) to leave without giving him the details I automatically thought of the faith it took for Abraham to be obedient. He didn't question God. He didn't ask for the rest of the story. He didn't ask what next? He just stepped out in faith and did what God asked him to do.

So...then I read on and switched over to the NT and what do I read? I read about people who were coming to Jesus to be healed because they had faith He could/would do that. In fact, there was an officer Jesus described as "having the greatest faith in Isreal." WOW!! That's some faith, isn't it?

Earlier Carmela was praising God on FaceBook for answering her prayer request. I was reminded of the verses I'd read before and thought "we gotta have faith" just like these guys did. God is still teaching me patience on a specific prayer request I have. But God spoke to me even later when I was thinking about it again. It was like He said, "No, Marsha - YOU gotta have faith."

I needed that. Thank you, Lord, for speaking to me and reminding me You see all things, and You haven't forgotten about me. Your timing is perfect, and I will continue to "try" to be patient... and have faith.

No comments: